PLWA Newsletter Update
Posted on Tuesday October 10, 2017 at 01:29PM
Please click on the link at the bottom of the page for a complete copy of the Pigeon Lake Watershed Association Update.
The Pigeon Lake Watershed Management Plan (PL PLAN) 2017 - Fall Update Working Together for a Healthy Watershed, Healthy Lake, Healthy Community.
Given the support and input received over the summer, a revised version of the PL Plan is now circulating for the endorsement and approvals to various regional organizations, municipalities and the Government of Alberta. At the same time, the PL Plan remains open for future revisions. (Find the PL Plan at www.plwmp.ca/plan.) The purpose of the PL Plan is to have an overarching, comprehensive, science-based document that coordinates action for Pigeon Lake, its shore lands and watershed. It will guide the changes the lake needs. The PL Plan’s goals are to: • Reduce the frequency and intensity of algal blooms. • Improve the health of the watershed and the lake. • Improve the recreational value of the lake and economic health of the region. Good progress has already been made. Some recommendations will be implemented over the next few years.
Opportunities for Input of the Draft PL Plan in 2017
1. April - Forty-eight Pigeon Lake leaders, lake experts, first nations peoples, PLWA Directors and planners discussed the draft Plan and provided feedback. The committee revised the plan.
2. June - About sixty-five people attended one of the two Open Houses: June 3rd (south side) and June 10th (north side) to learn and discuss the PL Plan, and to provide the committee with their thoughts.
3. July – Sept - An on-line survey ran over the summer. Emails, Facebook posts and a Pipestone Flyer article, (July 12, 2017) encouraged people to do the survey. Highlights of the survey responses are on the next page.
4. June – Sept - The PLWA highlighted the Plan at nine Summer Village Annual Information Meetings.
5. Alberta Environment and Parks experts (a limnologist, a planner, and a hydrologist) reviewed and provided generally positive feedback.
6. September 20th, the Alliance of Pigeon Lake Municipalities voted to endorse the Plan.
PLWMP Update Oct 2017 FinalOn behalf of the PLWMP Committee: Thanks to everyone who has participated! 176 people submitted the survey on behalf of at least 397 people. These people gave the PL Plan strong support and important feedback (see page 2). What Now? The Plan - The Pigeon Lake Plan has been updated and posted to the PLWMP web site. Support documents: PL Science Review; and a PLWMP Consultation Report (soon) and Glossary of Terms will also be posted. - The PLWA Board and each of the individual municipalities are being approached to endorse the Plan. - The Province will be asked to recognize the Pigeon Lake Watershed Management Plan within the North Saskatchewan Regional Plan. This will take some time. Ongoing Engagement & Education - With key groups including: the PL Chamber of Commerce, First Nations and farm operators. - The PLWA and PLWMP Committee will hold a spring Pigeon Lake orientation workshop including a PL Plan introduction for new (and on-going) municipal and other lake leaders from key organizations. Plan Implementation - The PLWMP Committee is firming up the priorities, the work for 2018 work and its coordination. - The 2018, spring Leaders Session will work together on the PL Plan implementation. Comments? Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com PLWMP Update Oct 2017 Final
Read more: http://www.townlife.com/blogs/show_entry/8676
Copyright © Summer Village of Argentia Beach
PLWMP Update Oct 2017 Final
Author: Summer Village of Grandview
Comment on our article:
- Wastewater Information Meeting
- Meet & Greet
- Humboldt Broncos Letter of Condolence
- Wastewater Update March 2, 2018
- Ice Quakes at Pigeon Lake
- Alliance of Pigeon Lake Municipalities & Pigeon Lake Watershed Association 2017 Winter Newsletter
- Tree Management
- 2017 Winter Newsletter
- 2018 Garbage Collection Schedule